Jonathon's Closet

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Only 25 Days Til Halloween!

Halloween: The American Tradition

At the turn of the century, Halloween parties for both children and adults were the most common way to celebrate. These parties focused on games, foods of the season, and costumes. By the 1920s, Halloween had become a community-centered holiday, with parades and town-wide parties as the featured entertainment. Due to the high numbers of young children during the 1950s baby boom, Halloween evolved into a holiday directed mainly at the young, and parties moved from town civic centers into the classroom or home. During this time, the practice of trick-or-treating was also revived. Trick-or-treating was a relatively inexpensive way for the entire community to share the Halloween celebration.

In a few days (after the electrician’s visit and I once again have power at home) I’ll be posting a few favorite Halloween photographs! I love Halloween!

4 Comments:

  • Can't wait to see your piccies. We didn't do much for Halloween in England. They did stuff but not like here. My boys love it.

    What are you dressing up as?

    Take care

    By Blogger PinkCat, at 5:11 PM  

  • I love Halloween, too, Kate! It's my fave! i would say Christmas is my fave, but my mom and MIL and sister have sucked all the fun out of that for me. But I still get my Halloween. No one gets to take that away from me! mwaahahahahaha........ {{evil laugh}}
    oh, and I can't sign in right now, so I have to do it manually.... argh!
    Yeah for electricity, BTW!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:57 PM  

  • Hi Kate and Jonathan, I was so touched by your post on how to offer help in the event of someone losing a loved one, I found this very thought provoking and something we need to think about, I copied it and put it on my blog, hope that's ok,Take care,
    Helen x.

    By Blogger Helen, at 12:45 AM  

  • I agree- Halloween rocks!

    By Blogger Jennefer , at 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home