Jonathon's Closet

Thursday, September 21, 2006

What a Great Kid!

“Awww, you’re having one of those days again,” he stated flatly as he came in the front door. Then he gave me a hug. “I love you Mom”, he said as he took off down the hall. “Gotta hurry, gotta get this homework done before swim practice.”

How did he know I was having “one of those days” again? He could hear it! On “those days” I often listen to recordings of my husband singing – and on “those” really bad days it’s usually the song “Amazing Grace” set to repeat over and over again; Don on main vocals, and me on backup vocals and acoustic guitar. Soft, soothing … some days, it’s just what I need.

A short time later he emerged from his room with his swim gear. “I’m ready to go, Mom – can I have a ride?” he asked. As we headed to the car, he turned and softly said, “I wish I could sing like Dad”.

Ok, now if you ever heard this child sing you would PAY HIM TO STOP! You've heard the expression "can't carry a tune in a bucket"? Well, Jona couldn't carry a tune with a bucket, a backpack, a wagon, and a Ford F 250! He does NOT have the ability to sing anywhere close to on-key – this is why he plays the drums! But as he shared his wish with me, the only thought that came to mind was “Me too, Jona. Me too”. And I didn’t even get the chance to share it; he grinned and headed to the car, saying, “but I’m good at lots of other things that Dad was good at, right Mom? Can’t be good at everything!”

What a great kid!

7 Comments:

  • Yes, definitely a great kid! ;)

    By Blogger Keri, at 7:11 AM  

  • What an awesome kid!!

    Take care

    By Blogger PinkCat, at 7:41 AM  

  • I love reading your blog. Thank you for sharing your special moments.

    By Blogger Lemon Stand, at 10:17 AM  

  • If Ian grows up to be as smart, kind, and well-adjusted as Jonathon, I will count myself lucky indeed. Maybe I should work on being as kind, understanding, and patient a mother as you are...you reap what you sow, after all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:48 PM  

  • That's awesome! He is such a great guy!
    A lot like his dad, I'd bet ;)

    By Blogger Chaos Mommy, at 3:24 PM  

  • I cried this morning after reading your post.

    I cried for your loss, for the unfairness of life, for those who are taken from us too soon, and because your son just seems like such a great kid he touches my heart every time you write about him.

    God bless

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:14 AM  

  • My cousin that helped me learn guitar was three years younger than me and screeched like a rusty tin box being pried open.

    He kept at it though and with the help of a piano player that worked "one note at a time" managed to get to be an adult with a pleasant and on key voice.

    Until your voice breaks you have lots of time to just grow your vocal chords strong by using them, so sing! You may never be an opera star but you might surprise yourself.

    By Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward, at 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home