Jonathon's Closet

Monday, September 25, 2006

On Sept. 25th ... a long time ago

If only we could capture the beauty of autumn and hold it in our hearts all winter long. They say it’s the season for wisdom, heralding a season of death to come.
We met in the autumn, on the campus of Eastern Michigan University. I was chatting with friends in the student union when I glanced up and saw him talking and laughing. We met a few days later, introduced by mutual friends. I wasn’t looking for a relationship. Didn’t want one. But he was persistent! And fun! And romantic! And I just couldn’t resist!
We had ten years together; ten autumns walking hand-in-hand, hearing the leaves crunch underfoot. Ten autumns filled with brilliant colors and mellow sunsets and crisp fall air. Ten autumns of leaf-fights and apple picking, pumpkin patches and Halloween bashes, and snuggling close under the stars and sharing hopes and dreams.
Autumn is so empty now, serving only as the prelude to cold bitter winter winds. The magic of our autumns together is gone.
Today is our anniversary. Not our wedding anniversary; the anniversary of the day we met. September 25, 1987. That beautiful autumn day I first heard the sound of his laughter. We were young. We were foolish. We knew nothing of what lie ahead. And for that, I am thankful.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Do you remember pressing brightly colored leaves between sheets of waxed paper to preserve their colors? It's one of those experiences of life no one should miss. Here's how you do it:
Place autumn-colored leaves between two layers of wax paper. Choose fresh leaves with the brightest colors. You don't want fallen leaves that already have started to dry.
Cover with an old towel or cloth rag.
Press the fabric with a warm iron, sealing the wax paper together with the leaf in between.
Cut the leaves out, leaving a narrow margin of wax paper around the leaf edge.
Preserved leaves make a great fall table decoration, and they’ll look great on a bulletin board too!
Take some time with the children in your life. Go out and collect some of the treasures of fall. It's a memory they'll treasure for the rest of their lives. I know I have.

10 Comments:

  • I just found your blog. My dad became a widower at 37, when my mom died of a massive, sudden heart attack, also at 37. I was 15, my sister 12.

    Your writing is amazing. I hope it helps both of you - my blog helps me. I miss her so much now, more than 21 years later, than I realized I would back then. Teenagers, especially 15 year old girls, sometimes suck that way.

    Thanks for telling your story, for touching my heart. I will be back regularly.

    And I will be an organ donor if it ever comes to that. It has been on my driver's license since I was 16 years old.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:22 AM  

  • I have also just found your blog and I am drawn to it.

    My husband's dad died when he was 16 - and there's a lot more to that story - but he talks about how long the hurting goes on, so much longer than people want to support you through it.

    I can't imagine recovering from losing my partner.

    Your writing is beautiful.

    By Blogger OhTheJoys, at 1:37 PM  

  • You write so beautifully! You make me realize how much I take those "little moments" for granted.
    HUGS to you and yours!

    By Blogger scrapperjen, at 3:48 PM  

  • Thank you for sharing your story. I found your blog today, and read all the way back to the beginning. I can't imagine going through all that you have ...a widow at 32, and losing your baby girl too! ... and I'm heading to Kristen's contest to vote for you! I hope you win - you could sure use a break!
    -Sheri McC

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:39 PM  

  • Me and the kids will go out and press some leaves for you! I'll tell them it's for Miss Kate and Jonathon, and they will think of you! Better days, right?!!!

    By Blogger Chaos Mommy, at 11:44 PM  

  • Beautiful and sad and oh so true. Kate, I do respect you so much, and admire your writing through this.

    By Blogger Moreena, at 6:50 AM  

  • We married on 9/25/88.

    I stepped out the door the day before yesterday to see a lovely red and yellow leaf lying in my path.

    It's in a book, drying.

    By Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward, at 10:17 AM  

  • Thinking of you on (well, a day after) your anniversary, Valerie!

    By Blogger kateandjona, at 4:55 PM  

  • fishygirl- I'm so sorry about your mom. I'm glad you stopped in, hope you visit again soon!

    oh, the joys and jen- thank you both! Please visit again.

    Can ya tell I really like visitors? (grin!)

    Sheri - thanks for your vote, it's appreciated!

    Peggie - hope the leaves turned out just right!

    Moreena - Looks like you and I have a mutual admiration thing going. Hugs to Annika and Frankie!

    By Blogger kateandjona, at 5:03 PM  

  • Oh, Kate. Sending hugs, because I just don't have the words.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home