Jonathon's Closet

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

While driving to work today ...

I got up this morning needing a tomato! Just wanting a tomato so much that it became more than just a "want" - it became a "need"! So I stopped at the Farmers Market, and headed for Bill's booth. Do I know Bill? Not really. He is a vendor at the Farmer's Market, always friendly, always smiling. Always so very kind. Bill never fails to remember my name or my son's - and often greets Jona with the words "so how's my favorite young man today, Jonathon?". Bill's booth always has the BEST tomatoes, so of course that's where I was headed.

Bill is gone. His booth sat empty. Well, empty except for the bouquet of flowers placed in the middle with a handwritten note that says "We regret to inform you that Bill passed on Sunday, Sept.24 This booth will remain empty for the remainder of the season, in memory of Bill."

I didn't get a tomato. I don't know why. Many other vendors at the market have tomatoes. But it just wouldn't have been the same.

Every day I drive past a large funeral home - the funeral home, uh - yeah, that one -where my husband and daughter - umm, you know. Today the hearse was out front, 2 limo's lined up behind, all bearing orange flags, ready for today's procession.

I don't know if this was for Bill. I don't know if there is a Mrs. Bill, her heart shattered. I do know that I cried the rest of the way to work today. I cried for my own losses, I cried for Jona's losses, and I cried knowing the pain of all families who have lost a loved one. And I cried for Bill.

4 Comments:

  • What a kind and caring person you are, Kate. And what a lesson from Bill: that taking the tiime to pay attention to the little details, like the names of your customers, can make such a big difference.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:33 PM  

  • Now where are you going to get your tomatoes?!
    I'm glad that you took the time to be sympathetic towards Bill's family. I wonder how many people were just annoyed?

    By Blogger Chaos Mommy, at 5:58 PM  

  • I don't even know Bill and I'm feeling sad for him and his family. What a depressing visit to the Farmer's Market. I wouldn't have bought a tomato either.

    By Blogger L, at 11:34 AM  

  • I know what you mean. I was sad reading your tale.

    After the touch of death in our own lives makes it real to us we are more sensitive to the loss others deal with and to the loss of yet another friend.

    By Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward, at 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home