Jonathon's Closet

Thursday, October 12, 2006

On Life and Love

"Where there is love there is life." – Mahatma Ghandi

On the day of his death she arrived too late for that fateful instant and missed his last breath. The doctors saw him die; so did the nurses. But his wife, the woman who knew him best, wasn’t there at that final moment; the last she could ever have shared with him in this life.

Love and loss are inextricably woven into one in this fabric of life. We don’t have to live too many years to learn that, but the longer we live the more often we are reminded.

If we never love deeply, we will never experience loss ripping us apart inside. (Boy, does that sound tempting, huh?) Then again, if we never love deeply, we won’t live fully, completely, joyfully expanding the boundaries of our hearts. It’s difficult to juggle these two truths – and also very simple. After all, what is a life without love?

What have you accomplished in your life? Have you loved? If the answer is “oh, yes – I have loved with all my heart”, then you have accomplished everything.

6 Comments:

  • I came here from Moreena's blog and spent some time going thru your archives.

    I cannot relate because I have not lost my husband or a child, but I have lost my brother. It is also a profound loss and something I think about (whether an hour or a second) every day. Of course, that loss made my sister-in-law a widow at 26 and I can identify many of your feelings through that.

    Something I really identified with was your 'do's and don'ts' list. There was one 'friend' that I had known for about 30 years that has not contacted me once since my brother died 5 years ago. Does she think that lessens my pain?

    Thank you for your work here. I'm so sorry for all you and your son have had to experience. I hope it is ok to add you to my blogroll.

    By Blogger angela marie, at 9:56 AM  

  • Ok, you could have warned me what today was....
    I hope that someone comes and sits with you today like you do for them on their anniversaries.
    I'll give you a big hug and sit with you!
    I hope that Jonathon is doing ok and I'm so glad that you have eachother.

    By Blogger Chaos Mommy, at 12:39 PM  

  • I think it was Tennyson that said, "'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

    I'm sorry you weren't there, but I bet you were his last thought.

    By Blogger OhTheJoys, at 1:34 PM  

  • Thinking of you today.

    Love lives on inside of us and therefore makes us better people.

    May you and Jonathan have a peaceful day.

    Take care xx

    By Blogger PinkCat, at 1:47 PM  

  • Ooooo... looks like my mood today gave the wrong impression! Today is not the anniversary of Don's death - I don't have to deal with that til Jan 6. Today, well ... my post simply reflects my mood and my memories.

    By Blogger kateandjona, at 5:10 PM  

  • I think there was a song out recently that said much the same thing as your post. I think it was "I Hope You Get The Chance To Live Like You Were Dying". I thought it was an amazing song about taking everyday and living it to the fullest because nobody is ever promised tomorrow but I am so happy to have been blessed with yesterday and today. If tomorrow comes I just want to make sure I tell all my family that I love them and are very proud of them.

    By Blogger Lemon Stand, at 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home