Jonathon's Closet

Sunday, December 03, 2006

From one foot to another

I have never called a man by the wrong name.

Well, that’s a statement that was true right up until last night. Apparently at a, uh, rather inopportune moment, I called “The Man”, uh well, I called him Don. Umm … Oops!

I didn’t even realize it and, at the time, he didn’t say anything. John just let it pass.

This morning as he held me in his arms, he quietly asked, “Do you know what you called me last night?”

I looked up at him blankly. “No”, I answered.

“You called me ‘Don’”, he stated gently. At that precise moment, I believe I felt my heart actually stop beating.

Carefully, breathlessly, wide-eyed I asked, “I did?” in barely a whisper.

He nodded. “You didn’t realize?”

“No, oh god no! Oh, baby, I’m sorry!

“It’s ok – I sort of thought you didn’t know you did it”

“Baby, when I’m with you, well – I’m with YOU. It’s not like that”

“Kate, it’s ok”, he reassured me again. .

“No, baby, it’s not like that – you’re not 2nd to anyone, never have been!

“Kate, I know that”, he replied. “I didn’t take it that way. It’s ok – it’s kind of a compliment, really. I know what Don was to you and somehow I’m falling into that same category”.

The tears started to flow. Mine, that is. He truly does understand. I am in awe.

“I love you”, he said in that throaty low sexy voice of his. And he held me and reassured me and quietly told me that all is well.

And throughout this entire exchange, his gentle smile never faded. Not even once.

6 Comments:

  • Now that is love.

    By Blogger OhTheJoys, at 10:46 AM  

  • I'm cheering for you guys all the way from New England!

    By Blogger Lemon Stand, at 4:24 PM  

  • Sounds like a WONDERFUL man to me! Very happy for you!

    By Blogger Julie, at 6:46 PM  

  • You can only make love so many ways. Someone that cares for you will learn what you like. Others may have known what you like. The new man may have just done something your first love did well, too, and the response was automatic from previous habits. Don't get all guilted up over it, just repeat the new name to yourself all day....LOL!

    I don't even know if I can kiss another man yet. I hope I meet one as willing to be understanding as yours is, you are so lucky!

    By Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward, at 9:48 AM  

  • That's love and can I say how lucky you are to have this man????

    By Blogger scrapperjen, at 12:29 PM  

  • I'm jumping up and down in my seat for you - you have a great man there!

    By Blogger Roe, at 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home