Jonathon's Closet

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Now serving: foot in mouth!

So we're out together, the 3 of us together for the first time since the return of "The Man". We go to Spag's for pizza (best pizza in town, and they have a jukebox and a ton of really cool video games).

Got the tunes playin' and Jonathon is giving John & me a hard time about pinball being an "old person's game". We're laughing and joking and teasing each other. I beat both of the "boys" at Galaga & Ms. PacMan, John beats me at pinball (and I join in the teasing about it being an "old person's game - after all, John's 9 years older than I am!) and the guys find some (ick!) deer-hunter game (thankfully not very graphic, the deer simply fall over when shot)

We eat and drink and play and laugh, and it's great!

The bill comes, and John pays with a credit card. The waitress takes the card and sees the name printed on it - she's obviously overheard us call Jonathon by name and turns to him and says "Hey, that's cool - you're named after your Dad!"

For just an instant, all 3 of us freeze. Our eyes dart around the table as we try to gauge how the others will react. I can literally feel the blood drain from my face, more a nervous reaction about how the guys are going to respond than anything else. John drops his arm casually around my shoulders as Jona looks at the waitress grinning and says "Uh-yeah, ok. If you say so!" And we immediately return to normal.

Tonight I am thankful for this small bit of proof of the enormous amount of healing that has taken place.

6 Comments:

  • Good for you!

    By Blogger L, at 6:30 PM  

  • (Sigh of relief!)

    By Blogger OhTheJoys, at 7:22 PM  

  • Very well handled. I'm so happy to hear of how smoothly the situation went.

    Pop on over and help me out with my Christmas Top Ten.

    By Blogger Southern jezeBelle, at 6:41 AM  

  • Your story made me smile! Good for Jona!

    By Blogger kate, at 8:40 AM  

  • Hmmmm...I think Jona handled that about as well as it could be.

    I probably would have said something like, "Not exactly, my mom was sleeping with another guy when she got pregnant with me." The literal, if deceptive, truth. But I'm a bit of a troublemaker, don't ya know.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:53 PM  

  • The waiting sucks, the reward, priceless

    and way to go Jona! to not ruin the waitress's day just because she made a wrong assumption. Very mature!

    You all have fun now, ya hear?

    By Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward, at 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home