Jonathon's Closet

Monday, November 13, 2006

Concerts and Memories and Old Friends - Oh, my!

My best friend calls, she has an opportunity to score CCR tickets – Creedence Clearwater Revival has re-emerged as Creedence Clearwater Revisited – and she’s hoping to get the “old gang” back together. Without hesitation, I tell her “I’m in”.

Several days later, she calls back. 27 of us are going. And she’s taken the liberty to get a ticket for “The Man”, so bring him along!

She hesitates as she shares the concert date with me. The concert is on my wedding anniversary. I cringe slightly, but am still looking forward to getting together with old friends.

I invite “The Man”, who without hesitation says “yes”. I explain that since the concert venue is 2 hours from home, this will require an overnight stay. He smiles and says “not a problem”. I add that the group is planning on getting together after the concert, and he answers “sounds good”. And I finally offer the fact that the concert is on my wedding anniversary.

He quietly asks, “is this ok with you, Kate?” and I have to tell him that it’s hard to tell in advance how that particular date will hit me, but that I don’t foresee any problem, unless he is uncomfortable with the idea of hanging out with a group of people who knew Don. He hugs me as we decide to go and look forward to a fun evening out.

Being the couple (couple? Uh- boy, that IS correct, but I sure trip on it!) with the farthest distance to drive, we don’t meet the group for dinner before the concert. Only about half of the group managed to do that. So we meet my friend Sheri outside the stadium where she’s meeting folks to give them their tickets and proceed to our seats.

The concert is great fun, and we have a great time! Only a few times and only for a few brief moments does my mind wander into the past.

After the concert, we get together for drinks at a local bar. “Hey, Harley” an old friend calls out to me (Yeah, Harley – from back in the day when I had a penchant for bad boys with bikes) “Whad’ya do, replace the old man with a newer model?”

I damn near choke. At least half a dozen quietly clue him in on the events of the past few years. “The Man” is smooth, gently guiding me away from the group and towards the nearest unoccupied pool table. Another couple joins us, and eventually the entire group has migrated and joined in various rounds of pool.

As the waitress distributes another round, another friend raises a glass and toasts “To Don – I sure as hell wish he were here!” I swallow hard as I glance up at “The Man”, while many in the group echo “To Don!” Without missing a beat, “The Man” raises his glass and says clearly “To Don – I wish I had had the opportunity to know him!"

It is in this moment that I am reminded once again how blessed I truly am.

8 Comments:

  • Awkward moments mixed with good laughs. Such is life.

    I'm glad you had a good time and everyone (except the one uninformed guy) had a chance to confront the elephant in the room.

    :)

    By Blogger angela marie, at 6:20 AM  

  • Kate that is so wonderful...it actually sent chills up my spine. Funny how those scary, akward moments make us into STRONGER people, and chase away some of those PAST fears.

    Good for you honey, and I am so happy for you and the MAN.

    Stef

    By Blogger navywife6, at 6:54 AM  

  • Wow! The Man sounds like a great guy, and I'm proud of you for going ahead and taking the risk of going to the event on such a "charged" day.

    Those awkward moments can be made so much easier by how the others around us react--I'm glad your friends were helpful and that The Man took everything in stride. What a great thing for The Man to say at the toast.

    From my limited knowledge of reading this blog, I think Don would be happy for you.

    P.S. The Halloween photo was great, and The Man looks handsome even in costume!

    By Blogger Depressionista, at 12:30 PM  

  • I am so happy for you! (posting one comment that covers the past few posts) I don't read here everyday but you have impressed me with your strength and your wonderful outlook on life and you have a wonderful son.
    I am glad that you had fun at the concert and it sounds like you have found yourself a truely wonderful person to share this part of your life with.
    You brought me to tears, in a good way, I wish you all the very best.

    By Blogger Shinny, at 12:39 PM  

  • Sounds like you have a WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL man! I am so happy for you!
    I'm glad you had a nice time.
    HUGS~

    By Blogger scrapperjen, at 1:40 PM  

  • (If this posts twice, I blame blogger beta-google-whatever it's called.)

    Kate, I'm crying here. Or at last teary eyed. You've not only found a man, you've found a compassionate, wonderful, man.

    By Blogger Sandy, at 7:58 PM  

  • This Man sounds like a good and gracious person. And I hope the poor guy who made the clueless comment didn't choke on his own foot.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:11 PM  

  • Wow, Kate! That story made me cry. The Man does have his amazing and wonderful moments, doesn't he?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home