Jonathon's Closet

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Where Were You on 9/11/2001 ?

I was in Mrs. Cramer’s 3rd grade classroom. The principal came in and said to turn on the TV. I don't remember what we were doing before that - it doesn't seem important. Right as we turned it on, we saw the 2nd tower get hit. We all just sat there in shock. Some kids started to cry. I felt confused and sick to my stomach. Then I felt anger and sadness, both at the same time.
-Jonathon


It was a beautiful autumn day in Michigan ; the perfect mix of gorgeous blue sky, downy white clouds, and crisp fall air.

I was in my office located just off the trading floor, a very loud place with dozens of phones ringing constantly and buyers and sellers hollering back and forth. In an instant, all phones fell silent.

Everyone was looking around, puzzled. Someone yelled that a plane had just hit the North Tower of the World Trade Center . A voice recalled the time a B-25 hit the 79th floor of the Empire State Building . Someone had turned on a radio and we all stopped to listen to what we believed was an accident.

As a group we moved to the conference room and stood in front of the TV. CNN was displaying a picture of the skyscraper with a huge gaping hole in the side. And then the second plane hit the South Tower . Shockwaves went thru the room. This wasn’t an accident; we were under attack. For the longest time, we watched silently with tears running down our faces.

Suddenly in the back of the room someone was saying the Lord’s Prayer. Another voice could be heard reciting the 23rd Psalm. “Pray for the victims”, someone quietly suggested. “And pray for their families”, I whispered in response.

We stood together as if frozen in time. We stood in disbelief as the South Tower collapsed and as the next plane hit the Pentagon. A few soft murmurs of prayer were heard as we learned of the crash of Flight 93. We watched as the North Tower tumbled to the ground. No one spoke aloud for the longest time.
- Kate

3 Comments:

  • Hi Kate and Jonathon,
    I just wanted to say hi; I have been surfing blogs for most of the night, and when I was reading your archives I saw your post encouraging comments, so here I am. I am 31 and my dad died last week. I don't want to go to sleep tonight, even though I have to work tomorrow and I have two sweet kids to take care of and I have a splitting headache. My dad was sick for many many years, beginning with a heart attack when I was 19. So, his death was not unexpected, and so much different from your experience. All the same, it is hard, especially because I find it almost impossible to cry in front of other people. I'm trying to be patient with myself. My dad died the day before my daughter's birthday party, a week before my husband went back to school, and a week and a half before the kids start school (and it's the first year of school for my son). I feel pretty overwhelmed, but I am finding it hard to figure out what to say to anyone, including my husband, because I don't even really know how I'm feeling, aside from sad. Well, I've bookmarked your page and I'll be back. I wish you both strength and love on your journey, and thanks for putting yourselves out there. You helped me cry tonight.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:38 AM  

  • Cloudspinning,
    I'm so very sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose someone you love. Just be gentle with yourself as best you can - you'll get thru this! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    By Blogger kateandjona, at 6:20 AM  

  • Sending sympathies to cloudspinning. I hope love and good support get you through this difficult time.

    To Kate and Jonathon, On 9/11, I was 7 months pregnant with my son Julian on the QM12 bus from Queens to Manhattan. When we got through the Queens Midtown Tunnel after much delay, sirens were screaming everywhere. As we went crosstown, you could look downtown and see the thick black smoke billowing from the first of the towers to be hit. By the time I got to my office, the second tower had been hit. I sat in my office listening to the news on the AM stations, stunned and stupified. I tried in vein to get in touch with my best friend in life who works at the World Financial Centre (which is right across the street), luckily she was able to call me in the early afternoon. I'll never forget that day as long as I live.

    So sorry to all the families who lost someone on that day.

    By Blogger G, at 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home