Jonathon's Closet

Monday, August 21, 2006

Every Single Day

Last night The Learning Channel aired a special titled: Camp 9/11: Children of Hope. I watched bits and pieces as I clipped coupons and paid bills. It was a very well done presentation. All teachers, school counselors, anyone who works with children should be required to watch this show as part of a "grief and loss" educational seminar.

One quote in particular caught my attention: “It may seem very remarkable but we know very little about how young children do after they lose a parent”. This is so true.

On 9/11 over ten thousand children lost parents. This is a terribly sad fact. But the truth is that children lose parents to death every single day. And we as a society are indeed incompetent when it comes to dealing with the accompanying grief. We desperately lack the necessary knowledge to help ALL grieving children heal. And that is where the real tragedy lies.

3 Comments:

  • Isn't it astonishing the things people are willing to study, and so few have ever focused on understanding and helping grieving children? Makes me want to dust off my MSW and get back to work.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:26 PM  

  • Kate,

    I regret that your and Jonathon's experience at his school was not altogether supportive. It seems as though at my school our community lost a parent or two and even three in a given year for three years running. Terrible. I believe the SSW rallied 'round the students through support groups. Sorry that wasn't your and Jonathon's experience. So, just know, please, that all people, even school personnel, are simply people, with their own baggage, foibles, ideosyncrosies, and weaknesses. Still...

    Take care.

    By Blogger blog author, at 6:18 PM  

  • Our society ignores death. It is not taught in schools and unless you have pets that pass on or lose a person close to you the topic is not discussed.

    On my blog in the side bar are three posts to my near death experience. I do hope you take time to read them some day.

    What I will say here is your Dad IS still somewhere we can't quite reach him but he knows you and loves you and you will be with him again someday.

    Truth.

    By Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward, at 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home