Jonathon's Closet

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Boy-sicle, anyone?

I believe I have invented the boy-sicle! hehe! Allow me to explain.

Last year, the boy chose to ride his bike to the library without permission. Because he assumed that if I drove by and saw his bike in the bike rack when he was at the library without permission I would be angry (ya think???), he chose to hide his bike along the side of the building ... from where it was STOLEN. (yes, the mean mom does a happy dance every time she thinks of this ... after all, a lesson learned that I didn't have to teach!) Because he had his bike stolen due to the fact that he was misbehaving, he's been without one for about 10 months now. And it's been practically killing him! LOL!

I've used freecycle on and off for about 6 years now ... and on Monday spotted an offer for what sounded like a pretty nice bike. I answered it and the bike is mine. The bike was located aprox. 7 miles away. So, I struck a deal with the child that in exchange for cleaning the damn kitchen (A great big huge mess that HE made - and yes, that IS a bribe ... tough) I would drive him to pick up the bike. This morning, he cleaned half the kitchen (the amount required in advance) and I drove him to get the bike. He was told in advance that he would be riding the bike home. He was reminded that it is icy cold, wind chill of 11 degrees today with occasional flurries. He chose to wear shorts because "Mother, it IS spring!" No hat, no gloves, nothing. (Can you say DUH???)

We picked up the bike, we stopped at the gas station and checked the tires, I met him again at the police station where we licensed the bike, and then he rode home. You would think he'd be irritable ... at the gas station he starting to pitch a little fit about how cold it was and I was getting to ride in a nice warm car. I reminded him that I wasn't the one who neglected to lock my bicycle because I was where I wasn't supposed to be. That one reminder was all it took.

At the police station he was starting to get excited about the bike, saying that it handles really good and the gears shift smoothly. (It really is a very nice bike!) By the time he got home his cheeks (and his bare knees!) were bright red, but he was smiling. And gave me a big hug and said "Thanks, Mom".

Yes, he's a boy-sicle. Absolutely frozen! He sat and shivered in a blanket for about 10 minutes. Then he actually got up and started cleaning the kitchen again.

5 Comments:

  • Funny! A good lesson and I loved the way you dealt with it. Sounds like something I would do!
    My husband chooses to ride in icy cold weather, but wears his winter cycling gear...I still think he's crazy!

    By Blogger Julie, at 2:25 PM  

  • Did he clean the second half of the kitchen?

    By Blogger Rosepetal, at 1:06 AM  

  • Great post! My kids are still turning into human ice cubes after swim lessons. They are very vocal about how spring is taking forever to get here this year!

    By Blogger Lemon Stand, at 2:00 AM  

  • Yes, he DID clean the second half of the kitchen!

    V E R Y S L O W L Y but he got it done!

    I guess I finally figured that 10 months without a bike was enough of a consequence. We had a good talk about personal responsibility and taking care of your belongings (something he knew how to do but apparently those teenage hormones just wiped right out!) and I'm hoping the lesson sticks!

    By Blogger kateandjona, at 6:11 AM  

  • Kate, you are a great mom. I love that you find clever ways to teach your son, even if they are his own fault. I'm glad Jona got himself a new bike too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home