Jonathon's Closet

Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Story of Thelma & Louise

Many years ago, following the death of our miniature schnauzer Fuzzy, my husband showed up at home with a huge grin – and said “come see what’s in my pocket!”

I was holding a baby, answering the phone, and making dinner – and wasn’t in the mood for a game. My response? “Pervert.”

And then a teeny tiny little black snout appeared from the pocket of his overcoat and I began to smile. A second tiny black snout poked out from the other pocket and Don removed both puppies from his pockets and held one in the palm of each hand. Oh, they were tiny! And cute! And mischievous!

Thelma and Louise were miniature schnauzers too, and sweet as could be! They did everything together – they went for walks together, played in the yard together, cuddled together in one dog bed, rode in Jona’s stroller together – well, with Jona, of course!

And for reasons unknown, Louise became “my” dog and Thelma became “Don’s”. That's not something WE did, that's something THEY did! We were clearly their "people", they were not our pets!

We almost lost Thelma after Don’s death. She refused to eat, refused to play, and was just plain sad. But we nursed her back to health by spoonfeeding her yogurt or rice, rocking her like a baby, and coaxing her to play. And Jona became “her boy”.

Oh, boy did she claim Jona! She would sit next to him, climb onto his lap at every opportunity, sleep curled up at his feet, and position herself in front of him defensively whenever company arrived.

We lost Louise last May. She is buried under the pine trees in the back yard - the same pine trees where she used to lie down and watch me when I was gardening.

We didn't think Thelma would make it without Lou. But we gave her lots of extra love and attention so she wouldn't be too lonely and she carried on like a trooper. Although she still wandered under the pine trees occasionally, searching for her sister.

Thel died tonight. I can hardly believe she's gone. My sadness is great.

And now Jona is the one wandering around looking lost.

6 Comments:

  • Oh Kate and Jona I am so sorry about your loss of Thelma. I have tears in my eyes reading this.

    Great big hugs to you both xx

    By Blogger PinkCat, at 3:06 AM  

  • Oh. I'm sorry. I'm feeling more than I can really express, so I will just leave it at, I'm sorry.

    By Blogger angela marie, at 5:19 AM  

  • i'm speechless. but i'm sorry.

    By Blogger Southern jezeBelle, at 6:50 PM  

  • Kate and Jona, I'm so sorry. I know how much that little dog meant to both of you and the reminder she gave you of Don. Know that I am thinking of you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:55 AM  

  • Oh Kate, I am so sorry for your loss! I am thinking of you and praying for both you and Jona.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:07 AM  

  • I too, have lost my friends over the years. My consolation is they wait for me with the mate and we will be at the place with the huge yard for the animals and the little hut for the spirits, just to the left, as you enter eternity.

    The only cure I have found for the loss of my wonderful friends is to go on and love the next one.

    Bless you both.

    By Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward, at 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home