Jonathon's Closet

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Fig Newtons

Last night, it happened. It doesn’t happen nearly often enough anymore. Now that he’s getting older, the bedtime snuggles are getting few and far between. But last night, he sat down next to me on my bed, tucked his feet under a blanket and leaned his head on my shoulder.

“Mom” he said quietly, “do you remember when I was little how every Saturday morning Dad would take me to the library for story hour?”

I smiled. Weekends Dad – who was a morning person – always did morning duty so I could sleep in.

“And every Sunday he would take me to buy the Sunday paper at 7-11 and he would let me pick out any treat I wanted and I always got Fig Newtons?”

I laughed. Yep, he always got Fig Newtons. What a weird kid! With a whole candy aisle of options, he always got Fig Newtons!

“You always just buy the Sunday paper at Kroger and you always go before I wake up and you never ask me if I want Fig Newtons!”

Right, right, and right again. Ok, in order – Yes, I always buy the Sunday paper at Kroger because it’s right down the road and the paper is discounted. Yes, I always go before he wakes up – hey, have you ever tried waking a teenager on a weekend? And I never ask if he wants Fig Newtons – after all, it’s hard to ask when he’s still at home sleeping!

Being Mom (and being stupid) I ask, “Do you want to go with me this week?”

“Oh yeah, Mom – 7am on Sunday morning I want to go to Kroger with you. NOT!”

We sit quietly for a few moments, just snuggling. Then he says “But you can bring me some Fig Newtons!”

4 Comments:

  • LOL! Give that boy some Fig Newtons! ;o)

    I can't drag my dd out of bed in the mornings, either. We're starting back to school on Monday...that should be interesting, eh?

    By Blogger Leni, at 6:41 AM  

  • Love your site - I'll be back to see how things are going for you two!
    Melissa

    By Blogger Melissa, at 11:34 AM  

  • Dear Kate and Jona, I have just been introduced to your blog and have finished reading all of your posts. I'm one of those people who can't fully understand what you have gone through because I haven't been there. But I have cried for you and prayed for you. Thanks for sharing your story, I'll be back.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:59 AM  

  • Oh Kate, I will be on the lookout for Fig Newton Coupons!! :)

    Do you mind if I put your blog on my blogroll?

    In friendship,
    Sarah

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home