Jonathon's Closet

Friday, February 08, 2008

Oh, how I visual pollution ...

So today I needed to drive. No good reason, just needed it. And even the cold gray day couldn't keep me in.

So, after work this morning, I took off for a drive. And headed to an area that is just chock full of places to go ... which, sadly, means is chock full of signs, reader boards, billboards, and bulletins. Hundreds of 'em.

This assault on my eyes is never welcome. In fact, I consider it to be pollution. It attacks my senses in a way that is simply unacceptable. Except for today.

Today, the signs were different.

Every single one of them.

Instead of advertising the sale items at the grocery store, the prescription special at the store, the roast beef or chicken at the Arby's or the KFC, and whatever financing deal is happening at the local car dealership, every single one of these signs carried a similar message.

Clearly one of our armed forces units came home recently.

And every sign was a welcome home message for a soldier!

"Thank you, Sr. Airman _____"
"Welcome home, Lt. _____"
"Glad to have our troops home safe!"

Every one of them. For a two mile stretch, each and every business participated in this mass-welcoming message!

I do H A T E visual pollution. Really, I do. But today? Today, the signs were welcome.

2 Comments:

  • I can't tell you how much even just hearing about those signs mean. Too many are forgotten. I hope you enjoyed your drive.

    By Blogger snowflake, at 7:45 AM  

  • Thank you.

    It's been a little dreary here, too. This cold is nasty stuff.

    Michigan has a bit of everything but lately winters have been very hard for me.

    South doesn't sound bad.

    By Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward, at 7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home